Saturday, December 3, 2016

When A Surprise Is Not A Surprise

When A Surprise Is Not A Surprise or It Doesn't Look So Good But It's Tasty: turkey surprise (*giblump turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing); **cranberry salad.


*This is a sniglet that I learned for the master himself, Rich Hall. If a tiny piece of turkey suitable for gravy is a giblet, then the not yet picked over carcass is a giblump.

**This is a recipe that I REALLY like. Around the holidays I usually have a batch of this in the fridge. The original recipe came from Alexis' great aunt Grace. It called for a remarkable amount of sugar. I mean teeth hurting, diabetic coma level. I reduced the sugar substantially and added more fruit and other stuff. It is worth me putting up a partial recipe rather than my normal ingredient list.


This is a big batch, but it is made to use an entire bag of cranberries.
Bring 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 cups of water to a boil add 1 bag of fresh cranberries. The original recipe called for sugar and water in a 1:1 ratio. Simmer cranberries until they stop popping. Remove from heat and add 1 each of lemon and orange flavored gelatin. There is an important choice here. I use the artificially sweetened versions since I am diabetic. There is no difference if the regular versions are used.

Once the mix has cooled, It is time to add the fruit and other ingredients. Now the original recipe would have called for 2/3 cup of most of these items, but here is where you make this your own. I use about a cup of each except for the nuts, 2/3 is a good measure there.

So, to the base add: pineapple, crushed but drained or tidbits, these are best; 1 medium apple diced, a crisp eating apple like braeburn, pink lady or gala works well; celery, diced; chopped nuts, I use pecans or walnuts, sometimes both. Alexis really likes pecans but I think walnuts have a more assertive flavor that stands up better to the mix of other flavors.

Refrigerate til set. Will keep for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment