Thursday, December 15, 2016

It's Offal Not Awful



Supper, Wednesday December 14: sheep liver; caramelized onion; wild and white rice; wilted salad (mixed greens, clementine, pear, heirloom radish, olive oil, blackberry balsalmic).

We like organ meat. Properly cooked, it doesn't have as much of the metallic and gamey flavors. I wanted to try a different technique with this. The whole liver was intact, not sliced. What if I seared it whole and sliced it like a roast? I was a little concerned for the edges. They were thin and could get way overcooked before the center was done. I kinda remembered that liver draws up a bit when cooked so I thought I'd try it. After caramelizing the onions I got the pan good and hot then dropped the dredged liver in in the pan. 

Nailed it.

The edges drew up. I cooked it until it stopped being boggy to touch and let it rest 5 minutes. Sliced it up and found a beautiful medium at the thickest portion to well at the margins with most of it medium well. The sheep liver was just the right size. I got the cook temp right so I didn't overcook it. There was none of the bitterness that comes from overcooking. In fact there was a subtle sweetness, like in slow roasted pork. I gotta find a source for sheep liver. I could find it hard to switch back to beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment