Friday, December 23, 2016

Is It Still An Gyro If It's On Naan?


Supper Saturday December 18: lamb gyro (roasted leg of lamb, radish, onion, lettuce, tzaziki); fried yucca; crudite.

I am fond of the pitas that are used by greek restaurants. When crisped on a flat grill they are just the right combo of crispiness and chewiness. Now if I had nothing better to do I would find a reliable source, but I have not, at least not at the grocers that I frequent. Plain naan is a very good substitute. It is a little different. The crumb is not as even so the texture isn't the same but the flavor, once toasted in a large pan is nearly identical. This is probably why I haven't been to motivated to find the real McCoy.  

In thinking this meal through I realized that with the sandwich and fries, so far the plate was hand/finger food. It also needed a little boost in fiber and some other nutrients. Finger food? healthy? Oh, how about veggie sticks? Done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment