Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A Study In Brown

Supper, Friday May 19: savory waffle (pumpkin whole wheat waffle, bechamel, toasted pecans); seared pork belly and caramelized onions.

This grew out of having two little belly pieces off of the ribs I smoked recently. I was originally going to use them as breakfast meat but that didn't work for schedule reasons. Then I decided to have "breakfast for dinner" which we (Alexis and I both) thought was a hoot when we were kids. 
Little did we know that it was likely due to the fact that eggs and pancakes are cheap and that is what he had available. Nevertheless I got on the breakfast notion then I thought about making the hwole thing savory. That got me to the waffles. Then I had to come up with something to put on the waffles. The most common item in the intersection of savory, breakfast, and sauce, at least where I come from, is sausage gravy. I didn't want to use that since I already had these 2 lovely belly pieces, but I did realize that if I took the sausage out of the sausage gravy I would have bechamel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment