Wednesday, March 29, 2017

It's What I Had On Hand


Supper, Wednesday March 22: roasted corn polenta; fajita kinda thing (thinly sliced beef, onion, kohlrabi, turnip, red pepper, chili spice, garlic, salsa); chard and aged gouda.

Ready or not it s time to get the winter brassicas out of the way. The garden needs to be tilled. We are eating a lot of turnip and kohlrabi. The broccoli is done. I only planted a couple of collard plants this year. We have a lot of canned greens. The fresh ones were very tasty. Winter collards are the best, sweeter, more tender.

I recently saw some roasted corn meal in a specialty shop. My immediate thought was "ooooh, roasted polenta, that would be kinda southwesty." I cooked it in the traditional way, simmered for about 20 minutes. I added a little vegetable bullion. It was tasty with a little garlic and olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment