Thursday, February 16, 2017

It's Just A Matter Of Having A Well Stocked Pantry

Lunch, Thursday January 23: Thai thingy (tofu, snow peas, black fungus, kelp, sesame seed, sesame oil scallion, water chestnut, rice noodles).

Got home from errands and whipped this together in a few minutes. It was just a matter of chopping the veggies and boiling the pasta. By the time one task is finished the other is ready to go. I have had friends comment on the dishes I make at home, specifically about the ingredients and the hassle of getting this or that. I tell them that a great part of what I do in making meals is the management of the pantry. (I mean that in a metaphoric sense. I don't have a walk in larder.) You have to be willing to stock ingredients, rotate them, plan meals around items that need to be eaten or else they go to waste. Example: You will see a lot of fried squash, green tomatoes, eggplant and okra. moving forward. I made a lot of those, breaded and frozen at the end of the growing season last year. We need to eat that up before the next harvest. I have a tremendous amount of food in the kitchen and basement. Our friends joke about coming to our house for the zombie apocalypse. Despite this I waste almost nothing. I doesn't hurt that Alexis will eat just about whatever I put in front of her. I often ask her what she might want or like and her reply is along the lines of "I don't care" or "how about something with feta." I have a lot of leeway

No comments:

Post a Comment