Sunday, January 22, 2017

Late Christmas Gift Or This Is Why Jerky Ain't Cheap

This is literally a belated Christmas gift. I make this for my brother each year. Simple solution to the "what do I get. . ." dilemma. 

The assembled spices for the marinade. This is a low salt version. The interwebs has more marinade versions that you could possibly try in a lifetime.


A whole sirloin tip from a wharehouse club. Your regularr grocer probably has these but in the back for cutting into steaks and roasts. You want meat that is not too fatty whatever you get. The fat eventually turns rancid. 


The marinade ingredients simmering for a few minutes and then cooling while I prep the meat.


The meat with the fat and sinew trimmed out.


Sliced, an eighth too a quarter of an inch thick


Combine. marinate 24 to 48 hrs or whatever your recipe suggests


Ready to be dried. I don't have a fancy dehydrator. You can spend a lot of money on a dehydrator, but unless you intend to become a doomsday prepper (unlikely if you are reading my pablum) then go for an inexpensive model. I paid less than 50 bucks I think.


Dried product.


Ready to post. I recommend keeping it in the fridge. "No preservatives" = "Might mold" sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment