Friday, January 20, 2017

Holy Crap I Haven't Posted In A While

Supper, Friday January 6: split pea soup (onion, carrot, celery, peas, smoked pork,* pork stock, pepper); chard and mandarins; sweet potato.

* I have a friend who bought a couple of smoked shoulders from his church during a fundraiser that they periodically run. Two whole shoulders were too much for his family really so he gave me a large portion of one of the shoulders. Now traditionally the recipe would be split pea and ham, but what is ham? The cured and or smoked rear leg of the pig. The shoulder is the front leg or the front shoulder region (Boston Butt). Not only is this a reasonable substitution with respect to texture and flavor the other advantage is that the shoulder was not salt cured. I could create a lower salt version of one of my personal favorite soups

No comments:

Post a Comment