Sunday, January 1, 2017

Cheeky!


Breakfast, Saturday December 31: seared grouper cheeks; sauteed shrimp; grits; salmon and tuna cream cheese; sour rye; apple.

A bit of a fourway and yes, grouper cheeks. A grouper is about 40% head by weight. There's a lot of meat up front. One of the tastiest morsels is the muscle the works the jaw. I think it is the equivalent of the masseter and the temporalis in humans, Anyhoo, it is below and a little behind the eye. All the bony fish have a pair, it's just that in the grouper they are especially large because of that 40% thing. It is one of the reasons that when I buy grouper I have the purveyor clean and fillet the whole fish then "reassemble" it to take home. Once home I will remove the cheeks then boil the head and other bones until it is just cooked through. I remove some pretty big hunks of meat in the top of the head and in the back and under where the cheeks were. I use this meat in a number of things: fish enchiladas; gumbo; tacos; scrambled eggs; fish cakes. . . Most times I return the remaining bones, cartilage, etc to the pot add onunion, carrot, celery then simmer for fish stock. The cheeks are great seared like above or breaded like chicken nuggets.

No comments:

Post a Comment