Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Supper: Monday October 10, 2016

It's not just for crayfish: cuttlefish etouffee (trinity, fish stock, tomato sauce, browned roux, bay, thyme, oregano, cuttlefish); wild and basmati rice; sour rye.

To brown or not to brown. . .
I was unaware of contention over the state of the roux. A quick check of the web (in order to make sure I was not missing something important) revealed recipes that were emphatic that the roux not be brown. I have had etouffee at several different restaurants in NOLA and every plate has some level of brown to the roux. Some were quite darkly browned. I consider the rich nuttiness it brings as one of the hallmark flavors of the dish.Why anyone would instruct to "make sure not to brown the roux" is utterly beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment