Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Fried Fartiflower

Supper, Friday January 25, 2019: fish fry (fried catfish and cauliflower, black eyed peas).

I have mentioned before that I have something akin to a physical addiction to fried okra. I could almost say the same for cauliflower. Something magical happens to it when it is breaded then fried. It may have at least a little to do with the fact that I use seasoned salt on the florets before breading. What is especially rewarding is that the grocer I use in Savannah always has an abundance of cauliflower and it is almost always very reasonably priced. I am also not afraid to buy the marked down heads that have a little mold in some spots. (There is a limit to my tolerance for this. As long as it is superficial and not widespread I am OK with it.)  I just shave off the blemishes. I don't care what the appearance is since I will be breading anyway. 

I will also mention here that we often get the "catfish nuggets." They are actually the belly pieces left from filleting the whole fish. They are oddly shaped and sometimes require a bit of trimming but I am no stranger to a knife. The biggest difference is that the bellys come with the peritoneum (lining of the body cavity) still in place. It might appear that it would be tough like the pleura that must be removed from ribs. It is not. I don't detect it in the finished product. It might make the end result have a stronger flavor but that for us is a bonus.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure that beans AND cauliflower is a wise choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment