Wednesday, July 26, 2017

It's Not A Fish

Supper, Wednesday June 28: cuttlefish, vegetables and farfale ( cuttlefish, farfale, zucchini, patty pan, red onion, garlic, parm, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, fresh basil, thyme, oregano ); turnip greens.

We really like cephalopods. Octopus, squid, cuttlefish are always on the menu when we run across them. The Asian store we shop at has frozen, cleaned, cuttlefish in vacuum packs. This is a typical meal I prepare, red sauce, maybe some vegetables, and pasta. I also use them for Thai or other Asian fare. 

When I started this post I thought "Cuttlefish. . . cuttle? What's a cuttle? Is it a thing?" Yes Virginia it is a thing. The precise origin of the cuttle in cuttlefish is uncertain but there are three related linguistic candidates: Middle Low German küdel meaning container or pocket; Old Norse koddi which refers to a cushion or testicle; and my favorite Old English codd or scrotum

No comments:

Post a Comment