Saturday, July 22, 2017

Fritter Away The Hours In An Offhand Way. . .

Supper, Monday June 19: mexi-rice (arborio rice, veggie bullion, peas, tomato sauce); kinda verde pork (onion, squash, shredded pork, verde sauce, chili powder to taste); kohlrabi fritter; sour cream; lime.

Kohlrabi was still in season. The garden gave up the last few bulbs. Alexis likes these little pancakes. It's like eating a potato pancake but with less starch and more fiber. In fact you get pretty good results from just substituting in a potato pancake recipe.

I home can meats. With pork I like to get a Boston but or two when there is a sale. I trim and cube the meat then pack it in jars. Follow the recommendations in the "Blue Book" (the Ball company canning bible). When it is done I also have enough trimmings to make a little sausage with the stand mixer grinder attachment.

The larger point is. . . I have home canned meat on hand that allows me to whip up something tasty like the above verde pork quickly. I didnt have to braise the meat in tomatillo sauce for 6 hours. Now is it as good as a traditional verde? No. was it close and easy to prepare? You betcha. Saute the veggies til just starting to get tender. Add the rest. Simmer a little. Yum.

Next time I make up some jars I'm gonna post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment