Saturday, July 22, 2017

I Didn't Know That Was A Thing

Supper, Wednesday June 16: rutabaga greens; zuchini parmesan (rotini, marinara, parm, fresh mozzarella, zucchini).

The title applies to both "things" here. I wanted to make an eggplant parm ala your favorite Greek diner, 2 or 3 slabs of fried eggplant over pasta and topped with cheese. I didn't have any eggplant but I had Grey Griller. I thought, "Grey Griller is kinda firm, and sautes well. . ." Worked like a champ! Tasty too, and it doesn't soak up grease like the eggplant can. 

The Rutabaga greens were a surprise also. I prepared them like sauteed kale. They tasted similar to collards. I like to finish sauteed greens with a little marsala (sweet vermouth, or any sweet wine would work depending on your taste). It adds a little vinuous brightness and some sweetness to cover the greens inherent mild bitterness.

No comments:

Post a Comment