Thursday, March 8, 2018

They Were On Sale

Breakast, Thursday March 08: salsa eggs (green pepper, scallion, salsa, eggs, cream, habanero jack);  hashed browns (with onion); sausage; guacamole-ish substance, yogurt.

It was the Avacados. It's their fault. Funny thing is that they are a small part of the meal. just the inspiration. They have been pricey lately, three bucks apiece. Yesterday they were 4 for 5. Alexis loves avocado so. . .

I make this guacamole-ish thing that is not quite guacamole and more like a pico. I use a commercial salsa that we like, add some more heat from one of our sauces, throw in some extra cilantro, onion, olive oil, maybe garlic powder, whatevs. Finally, add a bunch of DICED avocado. You want to be able to bite into unadulterated avocado. This means of course that you have to catch the avocado during the 15 seconds in which it it perfectly ripe.


I've taken to buying avocados when they are green and hard as the countertop. I keep one or two around to let them ripen at home. This prevents the "5 people squeezed this avocado in the store to test or ripeness and bruised it" phenomenon. This does mean that you are now in a long term commitment. 

Anyhoo, the rest o the meal just developed because of the avocado purchase.  I am rather proud of the sausage. Boston butts were recently deeply discounted. I bought a couple. I canned some, cubed and froze some, and made sausage. The nice part is I can control the spices, lower salt and hot.

I know the potatoes look burnt but they were just VERY brown. Alexis likes then very dark and crispity.

No comments:

Post a Comment