Friday, March 9, 2018

I Got Told

Breakfast, Friday March 09: savory oats (steel cut oats, vegetable base, sausage, habanero cojack); egg; fruit. 

I thought that this was a fairly balanced meal, mostly grain, some protein, fruit. It loosely fits in the FDA guidelines. Then I went to the doctor.

I  must qualify by stating that I have a condition for which I take prednisone. It has helped my condition BUT at a cost. It has given me diabetes and I have put on a lot of weight. I need to lose quite a bit. 

I was told to get rid of the oats. 

But wait, isn't oatmeal good for you? Sure. I need to lose weight though, not maintain. I was told to reduce or eliminate carbs. Important note: This should not be interpreted as "eat more protein." That is the mistake many people make. The message is "eat less carbs." This is an important distinction. Eat less carbs means lowering overall calories as well as those that are easily converted to glucose. That is the culprit with respect to diabetes, pre-diabetes, and obesity in general. 

Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment