Monday, May 25, 2020

Happy Sushi Day!

Supper, Tuesday December 25, 2018: sushi;
das it.

I've probably already mentioned this but I'm too lazy to look. Alexis and I aren't so much into the Christmas thing. I'm not certain I could explain it fully. There are a lot of reasons. The big ones are: It's a set of rituals that people (gentiles perhaps more accurately) are expected to participate in while so few have a deep understanding of its history and origins. The holiday as celebrated in the US is a  weird blending of incompatible theologies. The consumption thing is out of hand. It's grotesque. Oh, and don't get me started on the decorations.

I did not grow up that way. It was celebrated with gusto in my family, but here's how not into it I am. Last holiday season I had to look up when it was. I don't mean the day of the week. I had forgotten that it is on the 25th. That might be a little embarrassing, but it does demonstrate just how little I give a. . .hoot. 

We do take advantage of sales to make some purchases. This time we got a wicked good deal on a washer/dryer combo. Multiple discounts and and rebates. We don't "Christmas shop." We lurk online cynically looking for deep discounts and make in person purchases only if necessary. 

Point is, Alexis volunteers to work the holiday so somebody else can be with their kids or whatever. (We are not so nihilist that we do not recognize that nearly every nominal Christian, and even a few others, place some value on the holiday.) Also for the last fifteen years give or take, Christmas dinner has been sushi.

I suppose it is our personal version of the orange on the seder plate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment