Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Oooooohhhh, Pretty


I have been having trouble with bread lately. I've never been a stickler in the kitchen. I often don't follow recipes exactly. That is a problem when baking. There is a saying: cooking is art, baking is science. It is true. Too much pepper in your paprikash? It's probably still edible. Too much water in your dough? The bread collapses during proofing or the cake is dense and under-cooked.

For me this means that as I am a little loose with the rules, over time if I am modifying a recipe I can lose track of how the finished product turns out. In other words: I have this wheat bread recipe that I have been tweaking (not to be confused with twerking), and I have been getting crappy bread.

Solution? Go back to the beginning. I am starting with a basic white bread. I will add or modify ingredients one at a time until I find exactly the combination of adjunct grains and whole flour percentages using my techniques that yields a firm almost crispy crust and a light moderately open crumb. The loaf above was just white bread with flax seed. It is the prettiest loaf of bread I have ever baked. Good start.

YaY Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment