Tuesday, October 17, 2017

It's Fiberlicious



Supper, Saturday August 5: shrimp marinara (spaghetti squash, wild shrimp, tomato, garlic olive oil, onion, basil, black pepper, salt); fried okra, bella di cerignola olives.

Because fried okra (and spaghetti squash). I have passed my addiction to fried okra on to Alexis. Thankfully I have a little fryer that is convenient to use. I also have a technique for breading that is relatively easy. Now that doesn't mean it is a snap, just that it is easier than what most folks would do. Most importantly, this time of year, as the okra and tomatoes are coming in, I have the breading ingredients mise en place, put in place because there will be use for it every couple of days, not just for meals but to store up for the winter. I put FGT and okra away in the freezer breaded and ready to cook.

So here's the layout:



I store the ingredients in nested bowls in the fridge when I know that I will be doing this frequently. Like when I am freezing stuff.



The wash is egg and buttermilk. It is good for a few days. Change it out as necessary.




Prepare the vegetables as desired.
Salt or spice. I like seasoned salt. 





Dredge in flour first. This helps the breading adhere.



Tap off the excess. This is the seeeecret tool, just an ordinary spider. It is great for breading small stuff.



Do all this step at once before moving on. (Unless you are doing a LOT, but then work in batches. You will see in a sec. It is to keep the spider clean.)




For larger items I use a skewer or the fingers of ONE hand.




A little at a time put the product in the egg wash. Jostle, toss, fold, whatever works for you, until every thing is completely coated. Do this somewhat gently so as not to wash off the flour.



Here's where the spider comes in again. Use it to strain the washed goods and transfer to the breading mix. I use one part flour and two parts breadcrumbs. Use whatever you prefer here. Like cornmeal? Knock yourself out. I don't salt or spice here generally but that is also a good option.


Jostle, tap, toss, whatever, to coat. then you can use out DRY hands to transfer to a towel.



Fry to golden yumminess (or freeze).


No comments:

Post a Comment