Thursday, December 15, 2016

What Do You Call A Liver Reuben? A "William"

Supper, Thursday December 15: *william (fresh sour rye, sheep liver, Ohio swiss, kraut, grilled onion, thousand island); **onion strings; mixed greens; cranberry salad; clementines.

*William, Billy, Billy Reuben, Bilirubin, Liver, I slay me.

*I don't know where I first saw a recipe like this one. I think it may have been Chef Lagasse. Regardless, I have modified the original to the extent that I am comfortable calling it my own. I give you Onion Strings.

Select your onion. I like plain Jane yellow onions. I find Vidalias to be too sweet for this. I want a little onion kick. Slice them YERY thin. This is a job for a mandolin.

Once sliced douse them with your favorite seasoned salt. Apply liberally, it's mostly coming off later. Let stand at least 30 minutes. My gut tells me this is best in a non-metallic bowl. I have no specific justification for that observation. Toss the strands occasionally to ensure even distribution of the seasoning.

Of course the salt will sweat the strings. You could skip the sweating, just season and fry, but the strings go soggy almost immediately. I want them to stay somewhat crispity for at least a few minutes. Squeeze out the juice. I mean really squeeze. Put your back into it. See how much water came out? I give them a quick rinse and another squeeze. That is me worrying about salt. If you want them salty just don't rinse.

 Fluff the strings out.

Didn't get a picture of the coated strings.
Will get one next time.
Coat liberally with flour. If you want to add a little zing, before the flour add a little pepper, maybe some cayenne, whatever. 

  Fry til crisp and golden. Makes a great garnish, adds height and drama to the plate.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment