Thursday, May 13, 2021

I Orangen't Very Attentive

 

Breakfast, Thursday May 13, 2021: kohlrabi fritters (shredded kohlrabi, egg, flour, buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper, avocado cream sauce (avocado, yogurt, sour creme, salt, lemon juice)); scramble (onion, spinach, mushroom, eggs, cheddar, tarragon, dill, salt); fruit.

The grocery that I regularly use has a decent produce section. It has a good and generally fresh selection of the basics. It has some shortcomings. The mushroom selection is buttons and portobellos, das it. The parsley is always sad, which makes me sad 'cause I really like tabbouleh. On the other hand they always seem to have pineapples really cheap. (There was recently a six week pineapple drought. It was difficult.) The other item that is exciting is blood oranges. They are not stocked all the time, but it is often enough that I always look for them. 

On my most recent shopping trip they were in stock and. . . wait for it. . . on sale. I got a little excited. Instead of carefully inspecting them I joyfully stuffed them in a bag. I realized my mistake this morning. I intended to just use blood orange as the fruit, but when I took one out of the bowl I almost put my thumb in it. This might be all right for a really ripe peach, but not an orange. It wasn't rotten all the way through, only in the spot my thumb submerged. I was able to use half of it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment