Sunday, August 4, 2019

So here is why I like St Louis cut ribs

So here is why I like St Louis cut ribs. Back ribs are nice and all. They are more tender than St Louis. They are less fatty. Tenderness doesn't matter so much when you are going to slow smoke. Side ribs make up for the fattiness with some pretty big slabs of meat. There is another benefit. St Louis cut usually has a substantial piece from the side of the belly. I usually trim some of this off to make seasoning meat, for beans and greens and such. (Cut the meat into pieces no more than a few inches a side. Coat liberally with rub. Layer in kosher salt. Lots of kosher salt. Cover and leave on the counter for a few days. Remove, shake off the excess salt, leave a thin coat. Bag and refrigerate.) 
Sometimes you get a pleasant surprise. A pig that didn't skip crunches. One of the racks in the two pack had a couple of inches of this.


So what did I do? I sliced it up. I'm not set up for cold smoking and curing so I sliced it then tossed it with some rub. Oughta be tasty. BTW the seasoning meat is in the background.


Here's a trimmed slab ready for the fridge overnight. Tomorrow it becomes.


T B C. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment